The Chargers do a better job of unearthing and developing undrafted free agents than any other team in the NFL. At least one undrafted free agent has made the opening-day roster in each of the last 18 seasons, easily the longest active steak in the league. Three players helped prolong that streak last season: RB Branden Oliver, DE Tenny Palepoi and CB Craig Davis.
San Diego’s roster features several big-time players who entered the league the undrafted route, including Antonio Gates, Danny Woodhead and Malcom Floyd. Time will tell if anyone from this year’s crop will join that elite list, but the opportunity will certainly be there. In particular, the Chargers failed to address pretty significant needs at guard and safety during the draft, so players at those positions will be given every chance to showcase their wares.
The first opportunity to really shine comes later this month at the team’s mini camp (May 26-28). Until then, here is a look at the team’s complete list of undrafted rookie signings.
- QB Cole Stoudt (Clemson)
- RB Jahwan Edwards (Ball State)
- RB Dreamius Smith (West Virginia)
- OT Tyreek Burwell (Cincinnati)
- OT Cameron Clemmons (Western Kentucky)
- OG Ben Beckwith (Mississippi State)
- TE Brian Parker (Albany)
- TE Eric Frohnapfel (Marshall)
- WR Demetrius Wilson (Arkansas)
- WR Titus Davis (Central Michigan)
- WR Tyrell Williams (Western Oregon)
- DE Cameron Botticelli (Minnesota)
- ILB Ikechi “Chi Chi” Ariguzo (Northwestern)
- ILB Curtis Grant (Ohio State)
- ILB Nick Dzubnar (Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo)
- OLB Ryan Mueller (Kansas State)
- OLB Brock Hekking (Nevada)
- CB Manuel “Manny” Asprilla (Boston College)
- S Johnny Lowdermilk (Iowa)
- S Gordon Hill (Sacred Heart)
- K Josh Lambo (Texas A&M)
Michael Lombardo has covered the San Diego Chargers since 2003. He spent 12 years covering the team for Scout.com and has been published by the NFL Network, Fox Sports and MySpace Sports. In addition to being publisher of SDBoltReport.com, he also works as the Senior NFL Reporter for Footballinsiders.com. You can see more of his updates by following him on twitter.